Hello! Hello! Hello! It’s been so long since we last met! How have you all been, fam? Well, for me, life’s going fast….actually faster than I had ever expected it to be. A lot of things are happening. A lot of things are getting built and a lot of things are just losing themselves in the mayhem of my daily existence, but not to worry, fam! I am back again to talk to you and tell you about all the cool things that you can do with fashion. Afterall, this is gonna be the start of a second year with all you lovely people! thank you so much for sticking by my side and giving me strength to pull through the thick and thin. Love all of you !!!!
What better way than to start the second innings with a collaboration, which right now, is very close to my heart. We’ll come to an explanation of the title in the second half of the story. Till then read on….
I am sure you have heard of the Lions Club? Am i right? or am I right?
Do really not know of it? Don’t worry, fam! I gotcha back. Lions Clubs International (LCI) is an international secular, non-political service organization founded by Melvin Jones in 1917. As of April 2015, it had over 46,000 local clubs and more than 1.4 million members in over 200 countries around the world. Headquartered in Oak Brook, Illinois, United States, the organization aims to meet the needs of communities on a local and global scale. Our city of joy is no exception.
Right now, I am going to talk about the Lions Club of Calcutta Chetna and their annual initiative of a fund raising campaign called – ‘PRAYAS’, to be held on 19th and 20th July at Royal Bengal Room, cc1, kolkta. A very interesting fact about this club is that it is run by women and women only. They had started out as a 20 member club, and today they are 60 mates strong. Amazing. Isn’t it?
Talking about ‘PRAYAS’, I will have to mention as to WHAT exactly happen here. So, in this fundraising campaign, an exhibition is held where women belonging to a lower strata of the economy, are given an opportunity to showcase their products and carry out a fruitful business venture, whereby they get maximum promotion utilizing this platform.
According to one of the core members of the club, a percentage of the sales is spent on societal development activities. Great! isn’t it? Let’s check out some of the products which you can expect at this year’s exhibition:
- Chocolates from Sweet tooth VS
2. Handmade art from Hastkala –
3. Katha Work from Maheeja clutches from KrimSon
4. Some love for your body by Bellissimo Creazione
5. Products for children from Kaboos
6. And of course jewellery – Precious ones by Arham Jewellers and costume jewellery by – Kayra by Renu Agarwal
7. Stole and scarves by G I Textile
8. And of course – Outfits from an ensemble group including Saisha. Shree vastram, Shrishaa Studio, Ameyaa Fashions, Shree Paridhan, Preksha Jain-the Fashionate and Kyra by Bharati.
Coming back to Lions Club of Calcutta Chetna, I chose to collaborate with them because they are making fashion and entrepreneurship meet under one roof….that too catering for the artists who require this platform the most. Following are some of their projects, as said by the members which would give you an insight as to all that I mentioned above –
“For THIS YEAR’S FUND RAISED FROM “”PRAYAS“”
1.WE HAVE A FULL YEARS FUND UTILITY PROGRAMME ..INDIA IS GOING TOWARDS A CLEANING REVOLUTION WHICH HAS STARTED TO GET A CLEANER SUPERB SERVICE WITH PROVIDING BATHROOMS FOR BPL AREAS..SUNDERBAANS AND OTHER AREAS LIKE MADHYAMGRAM EXTRA …WE ARE BUILDING FIFTEEN TOILETS OUT OF WHICH TWO ARE BUILDED AND TEN ARE IN PROCESS..EACH COSTS US 15000/ EACH.
2. we inaugurated new Fully Automated E lectro-Chemiluminosence Analyzer machine (RD/cobas e-411 from Roche Diagnostic India Pvt. Ltd). This machine is more reliable & speedy in processing the blood collected. And in West Bengal…We are the only ngo to go go forward with this kind of an installation.
3. We are also taking over the maintenance of Chittaranjan ladies park under the supervision of mla Javed Khan and will be installing rides such as merry go round slides and others for kids up till 12 yrs of age.
4. OUR NEXT TARGET IS INSTALLING WATER HUTS AND WATER MACHINES WHICH ARE ALREADY STARTED WITH DISTRICT 322B1 IN NEW TOWN CHAINTY AREAS AND RAJERHAT UNPRIVILEGED SCHOOLS AND LOW LINE AREAS..WHICH AMOUNTS TO 7 IN AREAS AND 3 IN SCHOOLS.
5. OUR UPCOMING PROJECTS ARE INSTALLING SOLAR DOMES IN DIFFERENT WARDS OF CORPORATION LIKE
GOLA GACHA ROAD BEHALA
6. WE MAINTAIN OUR PERMANENT PROJECTS LIKE DEAF AND DUMB SCHOOL IN SALT LAKE BY PROVIDING THEIR MONTHLY NEEDS LIKE DRESSES..STATIONARY..UTENSILS AND MAINLY HEARING AIDS THROUGH THIS FUND
7. OUR ANOTHER TWO PERMANENT PROJECTS IN DHAPA BASTI ARE COMPUTER CENTRE AND LIBRARY FOR BPL CHILDREN WHICH ARE MAINTAINED BY THIS FUND.
Now coming back to the much awaited topic, the outfit for the day:
My Mother’s Wedding Saree –
So on the same day when we had the bloggers’ preview for ‘Prayas’, I had another event later in the evening, where I was invited as one of the panelists, catering to a national campaign; to discuss about men wearing Sarees. On this grand occassion, I couldn’t help but choose this gorgeous piece of Benarasi heritage which is 23 years old, woven by delicate hands with silver zari. For more updates on this, keep an eye on my facebook page. For the time being, here are some pictures. They are a bit Out of focus….so please bear with them. 😛
I hope you enjoyed going through this post. DO NOT forget to visit the exhibition curated by Lions Club of Calcutta Chetna, on 19th and 20th July at ROYAL BENGAL ROOM, CC1, KOLKATA. Starting out with 40 stalls back in the day, they have come a long way to host 120+ stalls this year. Do visit and add to their grandeur !
Let me know what you feel about my look for the day. I love it when you guys connect with them!
Keep loving! Keep Supporting! Until next time….